Friday, November 8, 2013

Day 68: Winter is Coming

It’s suddenly turned cold. I wear two jumpers around the house normally, and tea and my new blanket have become my best friends. When I go outside, I normally wear my winter jacket.

While I’m not really a fan of cold, there is something wonderful about the briskness in the air, the vivaciousness of crackling leaves, and the comfort in a cup of tea.
 
It’s also lovely to walk to uni every morning with my breath hanging in the air, the freezing moisture droplets sparkling in the sun. The other day I wrote this poem in my head as I walked to 9 am lecture:





This morning, the world was all dragons
Flowing up the hill to market street
Smoky breath mingling with the mist
That slouched uneasily over the river.

The town prepared:
Unlocking shop doors
Sweeping the pavement
Carting away the refuse
From forgotten nights.

For dragons, their red scales
Wrapped securely around their shoulders
Would descend
And ravage
And leave gold.

And I thought,
As smoke swirled from my own mouth
How sad it was to be a dragon
So reckless
And dangerous
And demanding.


I hope that made some sort of sense. :) Of course, poetry doesn’t have to make a lot of sense… not immediately. If anyone wants to do a close reading of that poem and find all the deep meaning in the poem, then go right ahead. It would be really interesting to see what people thought the poem was about, since I have quite a specific meaning in mind.


Finally, I should note that a number of interesting things happened last week, like Kayla and I getting bus passes and travelling around Fife, as well as the Gilbert and Sullivan society’s trip to Edinburgh. I have some photos from both of these trips, so as soon as the editing is done, I’ll have a couple more blogs to post.






No comments:

Post a Comment